Meditation promotes Physical Wellbeing
Get your ZEN-on! Part 1
It’s no secret that meditation is good for you.
Studies have proven that having a regular meditation practice has physical health benefits.
- alleviating anxiety,
- lowering your blood pressure,
- improving your cognitive function
…….it can even slow down the process of ageing.
Here we cover 10 (and there are many more) ways Meditation impacts your physical wellbeing.
With many transformative benefits, it’s no wonder that meditation is growing tremendously in popularity.
If you’ve come here from Our Meditation Movement Blog – you will know how this movement is impacting our world for the better.
Discover 10 Physical Health Benefits to connect you to your Zen.
Just like physical exercise, the more often you work out, the more benefits you’ll see and the longer they will last.
1. Increases blood flow to your brain.
The stronger and steadier the flow, the better the brain functions.
2. Promotes cell regeneration of your brain.
Researchers have found denser grey matter in brain areas are related to memory and emotional processing.
With increased volume and thickness there are benefits to memory, focus, self-awareness and self-control.
3. Your Concentration Instigates Muscle relaxation.
4. Engages your Parasympathetic Nervous System.
Enables us to rest and recover from stressors.
5. Acts as a Stress Buster – Reduces Cortisol production.
Stress-induced hormones suppress the immune system and breeds anxiety.
Research shows that mindfulness meditation lowers cortisol levels – a hormone that causes stress.
Reducing cortisol can decrease general stress, anxiety and depression.
6. Reduces blood pressure and heart rate.
A regular practice can lower blood pressure, heart muscle effectiveness and general cardiovascular mortality.
Meditation can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and can lower blood pressure naturally without the need for medication.
7. Boosts the immune system.
As a result of reducing stress triggers, the immune system is ignited which makes us more resistant to viruses and infections.
8. Mindfulness Increases Neuroplasticity.
Neuroplasticity enables us to be deeply transformed. Furthermore, with regular practice, it has been shown to
literally, rewire brain circuits that boost both mind and body health.
According to a study published in Consciousness and Cognition, even a brief meditation training has been shown to improve working memory and executive functioning. After just FOUR days of training, people showed a stronger ability to pay attention longer.
9. Promotes the production of neurotransmitters including serotonin and dopamine.
Our infamous mood hormones!
Depression is a serious mental health condition often triggered by stress and anxiety.
Meditation helps you deal with stress, anxiety and difficult situations, which in turn can shift your emotional state.
- Serotonin is a chemical produced in nerve cells that works as a natural mood stabilizer.
- Therefore low levels of serotonin can lead to periods of severe depression.
- Meditation increases serotonin levels and acts as a natural anti-depressant.
10. Reduces physical AND emotional pain.
Your Mindfulness practice activates areas of the brain that are associated with processing pain.
Furthermore, research has shown that even a short meditation practise can boost pain tolerance and reduce pain-related anxiety.
It can alleviate the need for pain medication.
There is a suggestion that meditation has the capability to reduce mental and physical pain better than morphine.
Yep, I had to read that a few times too.
Where to practice Meditation?
Simply find a peaceful spot where you feel relaxed and happy.
A triple bonus will be if you can access nature.
If you want more options here are some tips to help you meditate anywhere.
There is a multitude of apps available to help focus your mind.
Take a look at your App store to see what resonates for you.
Tides of Change is always ready to share our best practices:
Here’s a link to some of the best we’ve found.
Together with the physiological benefits, a daily habit will create abundant joy and happiness in your everyday.
See our Part 2 – 10 ways Meditation can benefit your Psychological Health
Sustainable change happens one step at a time.
Take care of you,
- Benefits can be experienced by quieting the mind for 10 to 15 minutes each day.
- Meditation has the power to permanently change our brains for the better.
- Quotes about meditation can serve as inspiration for your meditation practice.